There is nothing I like more to do than to come home from a long day at work to a cup of tea and a freshly baked scone ( when I have time to bake!)
Here is a quick recipe for your tea time. Enjoy!
Banana Bread Scones
Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 16 mins Total time:36 mins
Sweetened with maple syrup and tasting just like a sweet loaf of banana bread, these scones are light, full of flavor, and topped with a maple cream cheese icing.
Author: Michelle Verkade
Recipe Type: Baking
Serves: 8 scones
Naturally Sweetened Banana Bread Scones
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 8 Tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 4 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large banana, mashed
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup light sour cream (or greek yogurt)
Naturally Sweetened Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, cinnamon, and baking powder together. Add in cold butter, and mix with a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add in the mashed banana, vanilla extract, maple syrup, milk, and sour cream (or Greek yogurt), and mix until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and pat the dough into a circle, about 1″ thick. Cut into 8 equal triangles.
- Press walnuts onto the tops of each scones.
- Bake for 16-17 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- While the scones are cooling, mix butter and cream cheese together until combined. Add in maple syrup and mix until combined. Put cream cheese icing into a pastry bag and drizzle over each scone.
Recipe found here